Thursday, April 2, 2009

We've Created a Monster!

A polite monster, but a monster nonetheless. Rascal already has a cat treats problem. We can't find a local chapter of TA (Treats Anonymous) so Eric and I simply continued to enable his addiction. However, Eric has taught Rascal how to say please. When Rascal meows (or whines, depending on my mood) for treats, he runs to his chair in my bedroom (MY chair that he has taken over, mind you) and waits for us to pour treats. We dangle the bag in front of him, he smells it, and then nudges our hand with his head. That means "Please" (or "Give it to me now, lady!" depending on my mood).

I'm such a sucker for this child and such an enabler. Rascal's and my routine at bedtime is this: I get into jammies and go into the bathroom. Rascal follows and jumps on the counter. I take my eyes out and pull my hair back. I turn the water to warm and while it runs to get to the warm water, I cup my hands and fill them with the cold water for Rascal to then drink. (Stop rolling your eyes!!) If I fail to give him water before I fill my hands up with warm water to wash my face, he places his front paws on my arm closest to him and tries to reach my hands for a drink.

So, just now, I'm in the bathroom getting ready to brush my teeth and wash my face. Only, I do the routine a little bit different tonight. I use the bathroom facilities (keeping it a clean show here, folks), take my eyes out, pull my hair back and then scrutinize my face in the mirror. With no eyes in, I'm leaning over the counter and am within a couple of inches of the mirror. (That's what blind-as-a-bat people have to do, you know, when they take their eyes out. We can't look at our faces before taking our eyes out. Duh!) So I'm examining and that little polite monster nudges my tricep. He nudged me! As if to say, "Get a move on, chic. I'm thirsty," (or "Please," depending on my mood.) So I replied, "I'll wash my face when I'm ready to, child." The nerve of some people's children, er - I mean, cats.

It's bad enough to have a 5 year old daughter with attitude. I've got a cat with attitude.

As I walk past the front window this afternoon, Rascal has taken roost on a new vehicle. My van and Eric's car already have paw prints on them. He'd like to mess up a different vehicle.


Uncle Bryce's car really isn't all that clean so maybe it doesn't matter.

Rascal sees me taking pictures of him from the front window and now I believe he is daring me to do something about him being on Uncle Bryce's car. Stinkin' cat!

No comments: