Loch Monster tried out for his very first play this past Tuesday, March 31st. He had to perform a song and then recite 30 seconds of text from a Dr. Seuss book.
We kept it easy and he sang a primary birthday song. He did really well considering the fact that he handed his music to their piano player, stepped up to center stage and sang all by himself. He didn't even seem concerned that he hadn't practiced his song with that pianist. I just prayed he came in on the music on time. Many kids didn't seem to know when to come in on their songs. He came in when he was suppose to and was on key. I was pleased.
Then he recited a few lines from One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish. He was one of a handful of kids who had actually memorized his part. He actually seemed a little more nervous to recite his memorization than to sing. He didn't quite present it the same way we had practiced at home and I felt they cut him off on it a little too early - before he really got into more of the meat of it and calmed down a little. (But I also learned we could have picked his 30-second segment a little better, too, so that it was a better representation of his abilities.) But no worries. It doesn't matter because I thought he did amazingly well!!!! I'm super proud of him.
On the way home, we talked about his experience and how he felt about it. We talked about what he learned from watching the other auditioners - things he liked, didn't like, things he could incorporate into his auditions in the future. It takes a lot of courage to stand up in front of people, strangers, and perform. I told him that no matter what, whether he gets the part he wants or some teeny tiny supporting role or no part at all, he had just survived and thrived at his first audition and I couldn't have been more pleased with how he carried himself and how confident he was. Still scary for him? Yes, but he did great!


No comments:
Post a Comment