Thursday, April 2, 2009

Draper Temple Open House

On Civils Rights Day, Jan. 19th, we went to the Draper Temple Open House. Eric had a much needed job interview and was unable to join us so I asked my sis Lisa if she'd like to come and use Eric's ticket. We also went with my brother Chris' family.

It was so special to be in the temple with my children for the first time. I got to whisper to them about the special things that happen in the different rooms. As we walked through the bride's dressing room, I stopped Sweet Pea in front of the beautiful mirror and told her, "This is where a bride stands after she gets all dressed up in her wedding dress to make sure she is super pretty for her wedding." The glow that came across Sweet Pea's face and the sparkle in her eyes was so precious to see.

The tour concluded with a small gathering in one of the sealing rooms. We were told that we could sit anywhere we wanted. So the girls and I sat on the sofa that a bride and groom sit on. Loch Monster sat beside us in one of the mother's chairs. The girls thought it was so cool to sit where a bride and groom usually would sit. I explained to them what happens at the altar in that room - that a bride and groom gets married there, kneeling across from one another. I shared with Loch Monster and the girls who would actually sit in the seat he was sitting in and where Daddy will sit when they get married.

Because of where we sat, the kids didn't get to see the beauty of the mirrors. When everyone had left the sealing room, I took the kids to one side of the room so that they could see eternity. I asked them how many chandeliers were in the room. "Just one." But then we looked into the reflecting mirrors and saw how many there were. I told them that when they create their own family in a sealing room just like that one, they would be beginning their own eternal families that will last forever and ever and ever - just like the chandelier that goes on forever and ever in the mirrors.

It was a beautiful, clear, crisp winter day that was so special to have been spent with family - my own children and with my siblings and their families.

No comments: